Southwestern is the only American Bar Association-approved law school offering five programs of study leading to a J.D. degree. Each program differs in scheduling and instructional approach, thereby accommodating students’ varying schedules and learning styles. From traditional options to innovative alternatives, we proudly offer the following J.D. programs:
- The Online J.D. program, the first in the nation to offer a fully online, asynchronous curriculum in both full-time and part-time options.
- The Full-Time J.D. program, a traditional three-year on-campus J.D. program located in the heart of Los Angeles’ vibrant legal community.
- SCALE®, a unique two-year on-campus J.D. program that takes an alternative approach to classroom learning. SCALE is the first ABA-approved program of its kind in the U.S., featuring small classes, practical skills training, and real-world experience since 1975.
- PLEAS (Part-time Legal Education Alternative at Southwestern), an on-campus J.D. program designed for students who have child or elder care responsibilities. PLEAS offers a part-time course load with scheduling that can accommodate those who need greater flexibility in the afternoon and evening hours.
- Part-Time Day, an on-campus J.D. program that allows students to attend law school while maintaining outside responsibilities and attending to other demands on their time.
Southwestern also offers concurrent J.D./M.B.A. degree programs with The Drucker Graduate School of Management. Prospective students interested in the J.D./M.B.A. may contact the Admissions Office to discuss how the program works with each of the above J.D. options.
We also offer a 3+3 B.A./J.D concurrent degree program with California State University, Northridge.
For law graduates who wish to pursue a post-J.D. degree, Southwestern offers a Master of Laws program—an Entertainment and Media Law LL.M.
For summer programs—open to Southwestern students, transfer students, and visiting students—as well as Study Abroad programs, click here.
For law graduates who wish to pursue a post-J.D. degree, Southwestern offers two Master of Laws programs—a General LL.M. and the Entertainment and Media Law LL.M. (Southwestern's General Master of Laws (LL.M.) Program will not be accepting applications for the 2023/24 Academic Year.)
GENERAL LL.M. (Individualized Studies)
Southwestern's General Master of Laws (LL.M.) Program will not be accepting applications for the 2023/24 Academic Year.
A special LL.M. in Civil Liberties and Human Rights or Advocacy is available to outstanding Argentine lawyers who are selected for Southwestern's Fulbright-Jose Siderman Human Rights Fellowship.
LL.M. in ENTERTAINMENT and MEDIA LAW
Drawing on the resources and activities of the law school's Donald E. Biederman Entertainment and Media Law Institute, Southwestern established the first Master of Laws (LL.M.) degree in Entertainment and Media Law in the country. This exciting program is designed to prepare the next generation of effective and talented entertainment, media and intellectual property lawyers.
If you have any questions contact Southwestern's Entertainment LL.M. Program.