This course surveys current legal issues relating to the global sports industries, with one week of focus on North America and the remainder focusing primarily on sports in the European Union.
Among the topics studied are:
- the nature of the sports industries;
- sports law as a distinctive discipline of study;
- the business structures of team versus individual sports;
- labor relations and collective bargaining; antitrust regulation and its exemptions;
- professionalism versus amateurism; player transfers;
- cheating, including the use of performance-enhancing substances;
- status discrimination;
- licensing of international broadcasting rights; international merchandising; effective sports governance; and,
- dispute resolution by national courts and the international Court of Arbitration for Sport.