The Leigh H. Taylor Law Library at Southwestern Law School has an opening for an entry-level Reference Librarian. The primary responsibilities of this position are to provide high-quality library research and information services to faculty, students, and alumni and to teach legal research in a variety of settings. Some evening and weekend work is required. Teaching responsibilities include the research component of the first-year Legal Analysis, Writing, and Skills course. The Reference Librarian may also teach advanced or specialized legal research courses for upper-division students. Teaching may be in the classroom or online. The successful candidate will give library tours and presentations for faculty, staff, students, and other visitors. The Reference Librarian also will participate in collection development and prepare library guides, handouts, and other research tools. The Reference Librarian will have opportunities to participate in law and library professional organizations.
- Staffs the reference desk, including some weekend and evening shifts;
- Teaches first-year and upper-division research classes;
- Teaches guest lectures in doctrinal or seminar classes or other school groups;
- Participates in collection development;
- Provides public services at the circulation desk, if needed; Serves on law school faculty committees as appointed; and
- Actively engages in professional organizations such as the Southern California Association of Law Libraries and the American Association of Law Libraries.
- Juris Doctor from A.B.A.-approved law school.
- Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science from A.L.A.-accredited school.
Qualifications and Experience
- Knowledge of legal materials and current research methods.
- Demonstrated or clear potential to excel in teaching.
- Commitment to expanding, improving, and promoting library services.
- Organizational and project management skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to interact positively with students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- A strong service orientation.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
Please submit a letter of interest, a detailed CV listing qualifications and experience, and the names and contact information of at least three professional references. Email application materials to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately, and an interview at the AALL Annual Meeting in Denver, CO, may be possible.