Please check back for the FAQ, up-to-the-minute updates, and important announcements.
Event Date & Location
When and where is Commencement?
Southwestern’s 2022 Commencement ceremony will be held on Sunday, May 29, 2022, at the iconic Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena. The ceremony will begin promptly at 10:00 a.m. and end at 12:00 p.m.
Seating & Ticketing
How many guests are permitted?
Graduates had the option of requesting up to 8 guest tickets and may have been approved to receive up to 4 additional tickets if they submitted an additional ticket request. The ticket request deadline was April 8, 2022. A guest ticket is required for children age 2 and older. Children under 2 years old are considered a “lap child” and will not require a seat.
What is the ticket requirement for children?
A guest ticket is required for children age 2 and older. Children under age 2 are considered a “lap child” and will not require a seat/ticket.
How do I request guest tickets? Is there a deadline to register for guest tickets?
Graduates were required to request by April 8, 2022. Ticket request is no longer an option.
How will I receive my guests' tickets?
Each graduate who requested tickets received an assigned ticket link via email to retrieve all of their guest tickets. Tickets are sent via email after they are claimed through the assigned link. Tickets may be redeemed as mobile tickets or individually printed. It is advised that the “Print at Home” delivery method is selected if guests are planning to arrive separately or you plan to transfer your ticket to someone else.
How will seating be arranged?
Seating is first come first serve between tunnels 17 – 20. Handicap seating is available and located on the same level as the tunnel exits. Guests who need to be seated in the designated handicapped area should see a Rose Bowl staff member to request assistance.
Can I request additional tickets?
Additional tickets are no longer available.
Can graduates transfer tickets to another graduate?
Yes. If tickets are transferred to another graduate, it is advised that the “Print at Home” delivery method is selected at the time of ticket redemption.
What else should I know about ticketing?
- All guests must have a ticket to enter the stadium.
- Tickets can be presented using a mobile phone/other digital device or printed.
- Guests should have their tickets prior to arriving to the stadium gates.
- Individuals without a ticket will not be permitted into the event under any circumstances.
- Guests must remain in their seats throughout the duration of the ceremony except to use the restroom, order concessions, or in the event of an emergency.
Will handicap seating be available?
Yes. Handicap seating is available and is located on the same level as the tunnel exits. Rose Bowl staff will be available to assist guests who need handicap seating. Please note that the accessible seats provide spaces for wheelchairs and one companion seat.
Will wheelchairs be available?
No. Wheelchairs will not be provided onsite.
When can we start arriving?
- Graduates are asked to begin arriving at 8:30 a.m. and proceed to Gate A and check-in.
- Guests will be permitted to enter the stadium at 9:00 a.m. Guests should proceed to Gate F after parking.
- Parking is located at Lot F and will open at 8:00 a.m.
What do I need to know about parking?
- Guest parking will open at 8:00 a.m.
- Parking is located in Lot F.
- Gatherings, tailgates, and loitering are not permitted in parking areas. Failure to comply will result in removal from the parking area.
What are the COVID-19 guidelines for the in-person ceremony at the Rose Bowl?
Southwestern and the Rose Bowl stadium will comply with all current CDC, state, and local health and safety guidelines to ensure the safety of those in attendance.
Do not attend the event if you are feeling sick or have any of the following symptoms:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
Face Mask Policy:
- It is recommended, but not required to wear a mask while on stadium property.
Food and Beverage
Are food and beverages allowed?
Food and beverages are not permitted except for the following:
- Two (2) factory sealed 32 oz. bottles of water are permitted per individual.
- Two (2) empty 32oz. reusable water bottles.
Are we able to purchase concessions in the stadium?
- Water and soft drinks will be available for purchase inside stadium gates.
- Concessions are cashless.
- Concessions will close 30 minutes prior to the end of the event.
Is alcohol permitted in the stadium?
Alcohol is not permitted in Rose Bowl Stadium parking areas or inside stadium gates.
Are bags permitted in the stadium?
Bags, backpacks, luggage, purses, etc. are not permitted in the stadium. However, the following are permitted and will be inspected prior to entry:
- Clutches smaller than 4.5" x 6.5"
- Clear bags 12” x 12” or smaller
- Medical bags
- Diaper bags accompanied by an infant
What items are not permitted in the stadium?
- No bags larger than 4.5" x 6.5" – only clutch size will be allowed to enter. Must be 4.5" x 6.5" or smaller to enter. This includes purses, camera bags, backpacks, fanny packs, etc.
- Outside food/beverages with the exception of two (2) 16.9 oz. sealed bottles of water per attendee will be allowed to enter.
- Noisemakers, including vuvuzelas, air horns, whistles, speakers, boom boxes, thunder sticks, and musical instruments.
- Weapons or projectiles
- Banners, signs, flags, poles, or sticks
- Cans, bottles, alcoholic beverages
- Boxes or wrapped packages
- Unauthorized cameras with lenses longer than 3.5", interchangeable or telephoto lenses
- Laser pointers
- Fireworks, firecrackers, and confetti poppers
Will item check-in be available?
Complimentary item check-in will be available at the Wine Garden located north of Gate F. However, guests are encouraged to return their items to their vehicles.
The Rose Bowl Stadium and its surrounding parking lots are non-smoking areas. Use of electronic cigarettes (vapes) and smokeless tobacco products are also prohibited in all areas of the Rose Bowl Stadium.
- All attendees must exit the Rose Bowl Stadium at the conclusion of the ceremony.
- Gathering and photo opportunities are not permitted inside stadium gates upon exiting.
Will the ceremony be live-streamed?
Yes. The in-person ceremony will be live-streamed and available on-demand for future viewing.
Use this link for both.
How will graduates get their official diploma?
Graduates will receive a mock diploma at the Commencement ceremony. The Registrar’s Office will mail graduates their actual diplomas. Graduates should email email@example.com with diploma questions.