To protect the Southwestern community and out of an abundance of caution, there will be no further on-campus classes at Southwestern this semester and all instruction for the remainder of the semester will occur remotely.
Instruction will continue remotely through Zoom, the school’s preferred video conferencing platform. Here are the details on the transition:
- All Monday, March 16 and Tuesday, March 17 classes are canceled. This provides additional time for students and faculty to prepare to transition to Zoom. (There will be no classes, on-campus or via Zoom, on either of these two days.)
- Starting Wednesday, March 18, all classes will be taught remotely, on their usual days and regular times, via Zoom.
- Classes will continue to meet via Zoom at their usual days and times for the remainder of the semester.
- Remaining midterm exams will be administered remotely as take-homes or online. Further information regarding midterms will be sent to you separately.
What Do You Need To Do To Prepare For the Transition to Remote Learning via Zoom?
It is important for you to carefully review the instructions below now, or very soon so that you can be sure that you will be able to access and use the Zoom video conferencing platform.
- Ensure your computer's connection to the Internet meets the recommended bandwidth requirements of 3 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up. This can be tested by going to https://speedtest.net
- Test your computer's speakers, microphone, and the ability to join a Zoom meeting in advance, so you can make adjustments prior to the start of remote classes. You can join a test Zoom meeting anytime by visiting http://zoom.us/test
- If you do not have a computer, you can either (1) attend a Zoom class via your smartphone. (To do this, you will need to download the Zoom mobile app for iPhone or Android. These are available under the “Download” section at the bottom of the Zoom webpage at http://zoom.us ) or (2) purchase a headset and microphone and use it at one of the computers in the Library’s Learning Centers.
- Train on Zoom. See tutorial links below.
- To participate in each class, you will need to enter a Zoom "Meeting ID" or URL for each course. These will be posted on the Canvas page for each course by 5 pm on Monday, March 16th.
- Find a quiet environment free of noise and distractions for attending your class online.
If you have any IT-related questions or concerns, don’t wait until the day of your first Zoom class...contact SWIT directly.