Southwestern Law School is seeking an Instructional Designer to work collaboratively with faculty, students, and staff to design, develop, and implement online, hybrid, and traditional courses at Southwestern Law School. This position partners with faculty in the learning design process to produce quality content while ensuring best practices in pedagogy, course design, and learning technologies to enhance student education. The Instructional Designer provides technical support and assistance with Southwestern’s Canvas Learning Management System, online video platform, creation and editing of video content (classroom lectures, round table discussions, narrated PowerPoints, etc.), and provides training sessions to its faculty, students, and staff.
This is a remote position.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Partner with faculty to develop and enhance curriculum by utilizing technology.
- Support and maintain the Canvas learning management system.
- Support and maintain the Canvas Studio video platform.
- Support and maintain the Zoom platform for online learning.
- Assist faculty in the development and delivery of screen capture videos, recorded video lectures, and narrated PowerPoints.
- Assist faculty in digitizing and curating film clips and lecture presentations for asynchronous instruction.
- Record and edit video content (classroom lectures, round table discussions, narrated PowerPoints, etc.)
- Edit longer videos into “bite-size” (10-15 minute) classroom videos.
- Conduct one-on-one training sessions with faculty on Canvas, Zoom, Camtasia, video editing, and production.
- Develop and conduct tutorials, technical training sessions, and workshops for faculty, students, and staff.
- Collaborate with faculty to develop effective course websites and digital learning materials.
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to develop, implement, and support, new and existing learning technologies.
- Provide technical and course design support while delivering exceptional customer service.
- Create, update, prioritize, and track customer problems using an existing ticket system.
- Assist customers in person, telephone, email, or through remote support sessions.
- Complete ongoing training to keep current with product, service, and policy changes.
- Collaborate with entire Information Technology team to ensure the delivery of services.
- Maintain a positive, helpful, constructive attitude and work relationship with faculty, students, staff, and the Southwestern community at large.
- Follow and maintain Information Technology policies and procedures.
- In addition to the position responsibilities mentioned above, the individual has the responsibility to carry out unique tasks as assigned by their superiors.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to develop, maintain, and cultivate relationships with faculty, students, and staff.
- Outstanding oral and written communications.
- Analytical and technical problem-solving skills.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to train and support faculty, students, and staff in the use of learning technologies.
- Expertise with Canvas Learning Management System.
- Expertise in curriculum development.
- Expertise with distance education.
- Experience teaching or training.
- Demonstrable video editing ability with a strong portfolio.
- Expertise in video/audio setup and green screen.
- Expertise in Camtasia.
- Expertise in Zoom.
- Expertise in PowerPoint.
- Minimum 3-year experience in an academic or technology role.
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 3 years’ experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Located in mid-Wilshire, Southwestern offers a pleasant, collegial work environment in an academic setting and a competitive salary and benefits program. For consideration, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.